Network Support Specialist
PenTeleData is looking for a Network Support Specialist to monitor, repair, and escalate core network solutions in our Network Control Center (NCC). This highly skilled group is responsible for monitoring PTD's advanced MPLS network, routers, switches, access devices and commercial customer accounts. These specialists proactively monitor the network in order to prevent costly service interruptions by transparently resolving any services issues quickly and effectively. In the event of a core service or customer interruption, this group directly interfaces with customers, other employees and vendors to resolve the issue (s) in a timely manner and frequently performs root cause analysis.
- Monitoring and responding to core and customer network service outages and issues, taking ownership and following through to resolution
- Monitoring and maintaining internal and customer link utilization to ensure Quality of Service
- Coordinating and communicating with Field Service personnel to resolve service outages
- Investigating, tracking, and blocking potential attacks that may affect network service
- Providing first and second level support to commercial customers
- Supporting, troubleshooting, and resolving issues from managed network customers
- Interacting with Telco service providers to resolve dedicated circuit service outages
- Using escalation standards and judgment to quickly resolve service outages
- Regularly communicating to customers and other employees the networks "health"
- Providing second-level support to residential technical support for complex problems
- Escalating issues to and working with the engineering and systems departments for resolution.
- Leading R&D projects to resolve major equipment incompatibilities and network issues
- Interfacing with equipment vendors to troubleshoot service affecting issues
- Monitoring managed-customer firewall and VPN networks for access violations
*The NCC is operated on a 24x7 basis; therefore, ideal candidates must be willing and able to be on-call during off-work hours and occasionally cover missed shifts by other employees as needed. Weekends and holidays included based on scheduling needs.
*Work-from-home option is available but candidate must reside within 100 miles from base office in Palmerton, PA.
- 2 -4 Year degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science OR Telecommunications or 3-4 Year experience working in the Electronics / Communications / Computer industry
- CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) Certification
- Experience with UNIX (Solaris / Linux)
- Minimum 2 year experience with Local and WAN troubleshooting
- Experience with T1 and Ethernet Facilities and Customer Equipment Troubleshooting
- Knowledge and Experience with Cisco Products
- Comprehensive understanding of of TCP/IP and troubleshooting tools
- Understanding of DNS, SMTP, NNTP, DHCP, Firewalls and VPN
- Understanding of the technology behind routers, hubs, bridges, and switches
- Understanding of cable modems, xDSL, and Wireless Technology
- Understanding of dial up modems, remote access servers, and terminal servers
- Exceptional customer service Skills
- Excellent Communications Skills - oral and written
- Excellent Problem Solving Skills
- Valid PA Driver's License and good driving record